The next morning brought death at the camp.
Using the showers early, I had to encounter sharing the ablutions with the foreigners from the Das Rolande Hotel who had obviously held wind till they were safely positioned above a toilet. The smell did not make for a pleasant experience and fortunately I could breath through my mouth so as not to smell the stench.
Unfortunately, the fumes were over powering for many and there was death everywhere – huhu beetles, wasps, mosquito’s, moths and sand fly’s, their lifeless bodies lay on the tiled floor with back sides up and legs curled.
Little respect was shown for the dying or the dead. There were no prayers either.
Breathing through the nostrils did too, one is happy to exhale!