The descend down to sea level allowed for body parts to creak and groan.  Not necessarily in that order neither!  It was easy to get lost in the views.  We live on a piece of dirt that is so spectacular, we comprehend why it’s an attraction to many a tourist.  Except the three up a head of us going up the hillside weren’t following a path and we wondered what the hell were they doing?


There wasn’t one, that’s why!  The tide was too high to scoot around the coastal rocks so the only option was to go up and over.  We tried to follow the tourists scrambling through thick foliage of grasses, knee high scrub, flax and cutty grass but they were too far ahead.  We had to cut our own path.  Steepness had us slip down and then there was moments we were on all fours clambering up.  It would be fair to write that it was very scary with laden back packs.  Turning back was an option but to retrace our steps was going to be as equally challenging.

If that wasn’t enough, we saw another couple further ahead down at sea level running across the inlet whilst the sea had receded.  No sooner had they climbed up onto the far embankment, the sea waves wooshed in to cover up their footprints left in the sand.

We made the decision to descend to the shoreline and follow the cat and mouse inlet running in-between the ocean surges.  Only once did we get caught short that we had to crawl up the sand embankment so as to escape being sucked out to sea.  The pack landing on top of me from up above climbing back down was an error of judgement but adrenalin was high that there was no time for a health and safety de-brief.  Just get to the next highest point before the next wave surge.



Once we were passed the coastline of danger, the sand dunes gave us peace of mind walking pending the tide going out for which it did.  It made our first river crossing easy where the flowing water teased the bottom hems of our shorts.  A rest stop for lunch and a laugh at what we had encountered so far had us certainly shaking our heads at the trail throwing a heap of stuff at us on the first half day of walking.






The landscape shifted to a massive sand dune hill that we had to climb and skirt the summit.  It was moon like; even desert like.  It transitioned into more bush (with a track thank goodness) before descending down onto Twilight Beach for more beach walking.  After 3 kilometres more, we reached our first night’s camp site.