In the early 18th century, the road network only occupied a small part of the vast territory of New France. There was no road that connected Montréal and Québec City.
In 1706, the Superior Council decided to build a road that would run along the seaway. Work began in 1731 and construction ended in 1737. The King’s Road (Le Chemin du Roy) was 7.4 metres wide and stretched 280 kilometres.
It became the longest road north of and the land cousin to the St. Lawrence River.
We departed on today’s ride open minded about how far we would ride and take a chance at finding somewhere to stay.
The wind was blowing from left to right meaning the stench of silage was ripe and stinky. Only one other smell reeks worse. The skunk. Spill a litre of milk on your car carpet and let it soak under the sun with closed windows doesn’t even come close to the a skunk’s perfume. Thank goodness we have only encountered dead ones. Flies don’t even feast off a dead skunk carcass because of their perfume.
Gites are bed and breakfast set ups in private homes and were starting to be an option when we reached Deschambault. The ice cream break under the shade of a tree out front of an old grocery store allowed for a google search and subsequent motel find another five kilometres up the road at Portneuf.
And more of the beauty riding Le Chemin du Roy.
It most certainly kept the spirit of New France alive today as we pushed on like two galloping horses of old.
Just a point of clarification. Old being the horses that used to ride Le Chemin du Roy and naaaaaaeigh us being an old gelded stallion or mare!